THE ARCHDIOCESE OF PHILADELPHIA
INDEPENDENT RECONCILIATION AND REPARATIONS PROGRAM ("IRRP")
For Compensation of Certain Individual Claims of Clergy Sexual Abuse of Minors by Clergy of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Important Notice: The deadline for submitting your Claim is September 30, 2019.
On November 8, 2018, Archbishop Charles J. Chaput and the Archdiocese of Philadelphia (the “Archdiocese”) announced the formation of the Independent Reconciliation and Reparations Program (the “IRRP”) to pay reparations to victims of clergy sexual abuse of minors by clergy of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. The Archdiocese has retained Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille Biros, to serve as Administrators of the IRRP and to begin work effective November 13, 2018. Read Press Release
The key features of the Program are as follows:
- The Program is purely voluntary; no individual is required to participate in the Program. Only if the individual is satisfied with the compensation provided does the individual agree to waive rights to litigate against the Philadelphia Archdiocese.
- Individuals who previously submitted a complaint of sexual abuse of minors to the Archdiocese will have an opportunity to seek compensation from this Program.
- Individuals who have not previously filed a complaint with the Archdiocese may register to participate in the Program through this website on or before July 31, 2019. To register, potentially eligible Claimants need to provide their name, contact information, and a summary description of the nature of the claim, including the dates and location of the abuse and name of the perpetrator. New complaints of abuse received through this Program must be reported to the local office of the District Attorney and to the Archdiocese for review. The Archdiocese will have these new complaints investigated by and examined by the Archdiocese Lay Review Board.
- Mr. Feinberg and Ms. Biros retain complete and sole discretion over eligibility and all compensation offers to eligible victims who participate in the Program. By agreement, the Archdiocese cannot reject the Administrators’ final determinations as to eligibility and amount of compensation.
- An Independent Oversight Committee will oversee the implementation and administration of the IRRP. The Members of the Oversight Committee for the IRRP are as follows:
- Charles Scheeler
- Judge Lawrence F. Stengel
- Kelly Hodge
- Lynn Shiner has been designated as the Victim Support Facilitator appointed by the Oversight Committee. She is available, at the sole option of the claimant, to offer appropriate support assisting the Claimant in obtaining referrals to appropriate counseling or other support services in their community. The Facilitator is trained and experienced in social work and victim advocacy and available to offer appropriate support. Please contact the Administrators to request Ms. Shiner's services. (See Contact information tab.)
- Individuals who previously settled their sexual abuse claims with the Archdiocese will not be permitted to participate in the Program.
- Individuals who allege sexual abuse as a minor by a member of a religious order or clergy of another diocese are not eligible to participate in the Program. These claims will be forwarded to the superior of the religious order or bishop of such diocese.
- Eligible claims will be paid within two weeks from the time that a submitted claim is deemed eligible, compensation is determined and a Release is received by the Administrators.
- The effective date of the Program is November 13, 2018. All claims submitted to the Administrators must be postmarked no later than September 30, 2019.